We recently got the opportunity to go hands-on with an Oculus Rift, complete with Oculus Touch controllers and two sensors. In this episode we discuss our thoughts and impressions, and what we think is in store for the future.
We discuss how lives are becoming more internet connected, the history and hype around ‘smart homes’, and generally demystify the Internet of Things.
- X10 Protocol
- Sustainable Smart Home and Home Automation: Big Data Analytics Approach
- Connected homes will take longer to materialise than expected
- Here’s What TfL Learned From Tracking Your Phone On the Tube
Intro/outro music: JACKS – Runaway Fashion
Jalada and Sefran discuss voice-activated home assistants. We have a chat about what they are, how they work, and where we think the technology is going in the future.
- The two main devices we talk about are Amazon Echo* and Google Home.
- We also reference Apple Siri and Google Assistant.
- For more information about why understanding speech is hard for computers, read about “AI-complete” problems.
- We almost forgot to mention Microsoft Cortana.
- Amazon Echo can be used to control Nest and Tado thermostats.
- Sefran pointed out that banks like HSBC and First Direct already use voice pattern detection.
Intro & outro music: JACKS – Runaway Fashion
*Links are affiliate links. Proceeds go towards helping out OctalFM.