In this episode we return to the topic of platformers. All the things we love, some of the things we hate.
Not much in the way of notes for this episode; we really just sit back and have a bit of a chat. Enjoy!
In this episode Jalada and Sefran sit back and chat about how gamers shape games through coming up with challenges, speedruns, or rewriting the games themselves through modding.
- Playtonic games announcing tweaks to Yooka Laylee for speedrunners.
- Super Mario 64 parallel universes.
- Nuzlocke Challenge.
- “Brendan “Playerunknown” Greene’s whirlwind year” in which Brendan mentions he wants to give back to the modding community, where he came from.
In this episode of Octal FM we try to decide: Is the 3D platforming video game genre dead?
Games we discuss:
- Arcade games such as Donkey Kong, Mario Bros
- Metroid and Castlevania
- Crash Bandicoot
- Rogue-likes such as Spelunky and Rogue Legacy
- Puzzle-platformers like Super Meat Boy and N+
- Is Yooka-Laylee the return of 3D platformers?
- Snake Pass
Intro music: JACKS – Runaway Fashion
In this episode we continue our discussion theme of video game music. Instead of picking out examples we think are ‘good use’ of video game music, we just pick out games that have soundtracks that we think are awesome.
- Mario Galaxy
- BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
- Link’s Awakening
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- Jet Set Radio Future
- Honourable mentions:
Intro/outro music: JACKS – Runaway Fashion
In their most click-bait episode ever, Jalada and Sefran discuss the state of mobile phone games, where they think the industry is going, and some games that perhaps aren’t so bad after all.
- 81% of the UK population own a smartphone according to Deloitte.
- “Mobile games hit $34.8B in 2015, taking 85% of all app revenues”
- Super Mario Run from Nintendo.
- Extra Credits channel on YouTube.
- Monument Valley.