In this episode we kick off a new mini-series where we pick a game that neither of us have played before, play it separately, and then come together with our own fresh thoughts to discuss it on Octal FM.
This time, it’s Slay the Spire by Mega Crit, an early access PC game that blends rogue-like elements with deck building gameplay.
In this episode we discuss some of our favourite video game worlds to get lost in. We reminisce about some worlds we’ve not visited for a while, and we discuss what it means for a game world to be ‘immersive’.
Intro/outro music: JACKS – Runaway Fashion
This episode takes more of a ‘resource’ form, as we share some tips & tricks for getting started building a PC for gaming. We cut through some of the aspects that we think are unimportant, and share some shortcuts for saving time and money.
There’s a lot of resources out there on the Internet, but we like:
- Scan – for buying components (and pre-builds) in the UK
- Toms Hardware – for reviews
- bit-tech.net – for reviews, especially peripherals and modifications
- Hexus – for their partnership with Scan (easy to find reviews)
- Anandtech – for their deep-dives into new product ranges
- The Wirecutter – for their ‘just buy this one’ approach to components and peripherals. Look under ‘Electronics’.
In this episode we tell the story of the Elite game series and our story of playing the original together back at school, and some bits about the space-sim genre as a whole.
Intro music: JACKS – Runaway Fashion
Outro music: Strauss – Blue Danube
Back again with another indie review, we discuss one of Sefran’s most anticipated games of 2018; Into the Breach.
Intro/Outro music: JACKS – Runaway Fashion.