Sound-bytes are our shorter episodes about what we’ve been up to recently. A while ago we discussed the announcement of the Links Awakening remix on the Switch. Jalada picked it up, and has been playing it.
In this episode we dissect some of Nintendo’s announcements from E3 2019.
In this episode, and to mark it turning two, we take a look back at The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Some of the games we talk about include:
- Okami HD
- Heroes of the Storm
- Breath of the Wild
- Hollow Knight
In this episode of Octal FM, we discuss our two favourite games from one of our favourite series of all time; The Legend of Zelda.
- The best way to play Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask is the 3DS remakes:
Intro music: JACKS – Runaway fashion
Outro music: Docjazz4, FunkyEntropy, Theophany and XPRTNovice for OCRemix – Dawn of a New Day
*Affiliate links. Proceeds go to Octal FM upkeep.
In this episode we continue our discussion theme of video game music. Instead of picking out examples we think are ‘good use’ of video game music, we just pick out games that have soundtracks that we think are awesome.
- Mario Galaxy
- BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
- Link’s Awakening
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- Jet Set Radio Future
- Honourable mentions:
Intro/outro music: JACKS – Runaway Fashion
In this episode we pick out some of our favourite uses of music in video games.
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker combat
- Video of an example of combat with audio ‘accents’ (minor Wind Waker spoilers)
- Listen: Middle Boss Battle
- Final Fantasy VI
- Half Life 2
- Listen: CP Violation
- Music levels from Rayman Legends
- Listen: ‘Gloo Gloo’ Musical Level (video of level)
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Some other games that we were considering include: Banjo-Kazooie, Journey and Audiosurf. There are many more great examples of the use of music in video games, get in touch and let us know yours!
Intro music: JACKS – Runaway Fashion
In this episode of Octal FM, Jalada tells Sefran what he thinks of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD for the Wii U.
Spoiler warning: Contains minor spoilers about Twilight Princess and a general discussion of the Zelda timeline.
Related reading from the show:
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and The Wind Waker HD.
- Zelda teaser trailer from Spaceworld 2000 (linked video is actually a longer cut than the one we used to watch).
- The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (affiliate link).
- Copy of the Hyrule Historia timeline.
- Jadusable Wiki, the official database for the Haunted Majora’s Mask Cartridge story (Elegy of Emptiness creepypasta).
- Twilight Princess Wii, Gamecube and Wii U graphics comparison.
- Issues when you force Dark Souls to run at 60fps on PC.
And finally here’s a photo of Jalada’s Zelda poster with a MacBook Air for scale:
- Intro: JACKS – Runaway Fashion.
- Outro: Life of a Bowling Pin by Hylian Lemon for ocremix.org.